Augmentation mammoplasty, commonly known as breast augmentation is a surgery performed in women to increase their breast size. In this procedure, breast implants are placed below the chest or the breast tissue.
Women, who choose to have a breast augmentation surgery, are those who are less confident about the way their breast looks. They undergo the surgery to enhance or improve the contours of their body, to rectify the breast volume after the surgery, and for several other reasons too. With breast augmentation surgery, the bust line of the women can be increased by one or more cup sizes.
At Divine Cosmetic Surgery, Delhi, we perform the best breast augmentation surgery with silicone implants using the latest Brazilian technique. The technique results in an invisible incision after the surgery.
Reasons to get breast augmentation
There are several reasons why women opt for breast augmentation. The most common reasons are:
- Most women feel a little underconfident about their appearance due to small breast size. If you feel that the size of your breast is affecting your appearance or the way you dress, breast enhancement is just the right cosmetic procedure for you.
- It is also done to adjust the size of the breasts after weight loss or pregnancy.
- Women suffering from breast changes due to aging also consider this procedure
- To restore the natural look of the breasts after a breast cancer surgery
- Desire to feel more feminine and more confident in one’s body
Benefits of breast augmentation
There are several benefits of breast augmentation. Some of the major benefits are:
- The surgery helps to increase the breast size
- It gives more clothing and swimsuit options
- It helps in creating a balanced figure
- It can update your look at any age
- It helps to give a more defined breast
- It can reverse the changes in the body after pregnancy
- It boosts the confidence of the women having a flat chest
- Breast implants can be removed or replaced
Planning a Breast Augmentation Surgery
Prior to breast implant surgery, it is necessary to consult with your plastic surgeon about the size and appearance of breasts that you want after the surgery. Based on your choices, the surgeon will give you options of the implants-saline or silicone, smooth or textured along with the surgical technique used to insert these implants.
At Divine, we mark the dimensions of the breast and chest before the surgery. These measurements give an estimate of the cup size and the diameter. The diameter or the base diameter is an important aspect, which decides the volume of the implant. High-profile implants are for people who need larger projections. Patients are generally made to try the implants before the procedure to select the best implant for the surgery. This works wonders in deciding the breast size and the volume after the surgery.
Various incisions are also used in breast augmentation surgery like axillary, periareolar, inframammary, and Transumbilical. Inframammary and axillary are the most commonly used incisions these days.
Things you must know before getting the best augmentation surgery
If you are planning to get breast augmentation surgery to improve the appearance of your breasts. Consider the following things before:
- Getting breast implant surgery won’t help with breast sagging. A breast lift surgery is usually performed after breast augmentation surgery.
- The lifetime of breast implants is about 10 years. There is also a possibility that they can rupture. Also with aging, weight gain, or weight loss, the breast size and appearance can change after the surgery.
- After having breast augmentation surgery, mammograms may become a part of your routine check-up
- Breast-feeding might become a challenge for some women after having the surgery. Some women can easily do it while some women face problem with it
- Insurance does not cover breast augmentation surgery because it is a cosmetic procedure. However, the insurance company considers it when it becomes extremely necessary after mastectomy. Therefore, if you can bear the expenses of the surgery, it is just the right procedure for you.
- If you decide to get your implants removed, you might need corrective surgery to restore the appearance of your breasts
- According to FDA, a breast MRI is recommended 5 to 6 years after the surgery to rule out any possibility of implant rupture.
- You have to quit smoking and drinking before and after the surgery
Your surgeon may also recommend you start or stop certain medications before and after the surgery.
Expectations during the surgery
Breast Augmentation surgery takes place in a hospital. The entire process takes about 45 minutes and the patient is discharged on the same day. Hospital stay is required only in the case of complications
Breast augmentation surgery is done under local anesthesia or general anesthesia. In local anesthesia, the patient remains awake but the breast area is numbed. However, under general anesthesia, the patient is asleep during the surgery. A well-qualified and experienced plastic surgeon can decide the best anesthesia for the patient.
Types of breast augmentation procedure
- Inframammary: It is the most common procedure is breast augmentation. It has minimum effect on mil producing areas and that is why it works for all the mothers.
- Trans-axillary: 20% breast augmentation procedure is done via trans-axillary approach. This procedure leaves no scar on the breast.
- Peri-areolar: 10 to 20% breast augmentation procedures are performed using this method. This incision is made around the nipple and it is good for women who have extremely small breasts.
- Transumbilical: It is the latest method in which an incision is made through a belly button.
Incisions in breast augmentation surgery
To insert the implants, a surgeon can make the incision at one of the following places:
- Under the breast which is known as inframammary incision
- Under the arm which is known as axillary incision
- Around the nipple which is known as a periareolar incision
After the incision, the breast tissue is separated from the muscles and the connective tissue of the chest. This leads to the formation of a pocket either behind or in the front of the chest wall. The implants are then inserted in this pocket and are then centered behind the nipple.
If you have opted for a saline implant, they are inserted empty and then filled with sterile water once they are in their place. If you have chosen silicone implants for your breast augmentation, these implants are not inserted empty as they are pre-filled with silicone gel.
The incision is closed via sutures and the area is bandaged with a skin adhesive and surgical tape.
Read more – How to Reduce Gynecomastia?
Silicone vs. Saline
The next big decision a woman has to make when she decides to go for breast augmentation surgery is to go for silicone or a saline implant. Both implants are made of the same outer covering but have different fillings. Saline implants are filled with sterile water whereas silicone implants are filled with silicone gel.
Talking about which are best, the following points may help you:
- Natural Feel: Silicone implants give a more natural feel as compared to saline ones. They are soft and squishier whereas the saline ones are hard and do not look natural at all.
- Natural Look: When it comes to a natural look, silicone implants dominate the race. Saline implants are overfilled due to which they are firm to touch. On the other hand, silicone implants are pliable and give the appearance of a natural breast.
- Incision and scar: Saline implants are inserted empty whereas the silicone implants are pre-filled due to which they require a large incision. Saline implants need a small incision and hence result in fewer scars.
- Size: The volume of silicone implants is fixed i.e.425 cc, while saline implants can be overfilled; therefore their volume can go up to 550 ccs.
- Shape: Both the implants come either in a round shape or in a teardrop shape. In addition, both these implants come in low profile, moderate profile, high profile, and ultra-high profile.
- Texture: silicone and saline implants come with either textured or smooth shells.
- Longevity: When it comes to choosing the right implant, longevity is very important. At some point, you have to get your implants replaced because both these implants have a fixed life span.
- Wrinkling and rippling: Silicone implants have fewer chances of rippling as compared to saline implants. Since the viscosity of saline is less than that of silicone, they have higher chances of wrinkling.
- Rupture: Saline implants rupture easily which results in the deflation of the breast. On the other hand, silicone implants do not rupture and the breast remains intact. However, if you choose silicone implants, an MRI becomes compulsory to rule out the case of silent rupture.
At Divine, we specialize in silicone implant breast augmentation surgery. We have the latest techniques and instruments to perform this sensitive cosmetic procedure. Besides it, we have breast implants of all profiles. Therefore, a patient can choose the implant according to the enlargement needed by her.
Also, read – How Much Does Tummy Tuck Cost Surgery in India?
Expectations after Breast Augmentation
At Divine, our breast augmentation surgeon and the medical staff will take care of you after the surgery. It is totally normal to feel tired and sore after the surgery, but you will be able to gain back your mobility in 2 or 3 days. Drainage tubes will be inserted after the surgery to remove excess fluid and the surgical dressing will be removed in few days too. The sutures, which do not dissolve on their own, will be removed after 10 days of the surgery. You are also going to experience swelling after the breast augmentation surgery but it will go away with time. Swellings can persist longer in the muscles where the implants are placed.
Recovery after breast augmentation
If you are worried about the recovery after the procedure, there is nothing to worry about at all. Patients usually return to their work a few days after the surgery. After two or three weeks of the surgery, avoid any type of direct stimulation. Breast contact is fine after three to four weeks when the soreness disappears. Heavy lifting and pushing are strictly prohibited for three to four weeks. The scars after the surgery will be firm for about six weeks. They will also remain the same size several months after the surgery. However, there is nothing to worry about, as they will fade away eventually. In case you experience any other serious complications, we at Divine, are always there to help our patients.
Risks of breast augmentation
Every surgery has some potential side effects. Similarly, there are certain risks associated with breast augmentation surgery too.
One of the most common risks associated with breast augmentation surgery is capsular contracture. It is a situation when the scar around the implant tightens leading to an abnormally hard breast. However, this condition is treatable. Another complication, which can occur, is excessive bleeding or infection in the operated area. In addition, after the surgery, the nipples may become oversensitive, undersensitive, or numb.
As mentioned above, there are also chances that the implant might break. When a saline implant breaks, it will drain completely and all the saline will be absorbed in the body without any harm. If the silicone implant breaks, the leak becomes undetectable if the scar tissue remains intact. If in case the scar tissue breaks down, the silicone gel from the implant can move into the surrounding tissue. After the breakage, you require a second operation to fix the implants again.
Breast implants can alter the way of mammography. It must be kept in mind that in case, you suffer from breast cancer, and then the radiologists will have to perform special displacement techniques to detect cancer.
Breast Augmentation Prices
There is a number of breast implant manufacturers like :
- Nagor- from Britain
- Sebbin-From France
- Motiva-From Costa Rica
- Mentor-From Belgium
Depending upon the type of breast implant, the procedure expense also varies. When Mentor implants are used, the procedure costs about $2000-3200 (inclusive of all the costs). There is a reduction in the cost if Nagor implants are used. It becomes about $1,700.This cost includes surgeon fee, laboratory fee, anesthesia fee, operation fee, prescribed medicines, cost of the transplant, etc
Read More – How to Know if You Have Gynecomastia
Breast Augmentation Pics
To get more clarity, here are some before and after pictures of the Breast Augmentation surgery done at Divine Cosmetic Surgery Delhi.
Breast Augmentation is a mixture of art and science and thus it is very essential to choose the correct plastic surgeon to undergo this major surgery. The plastic surgeon should have an unbeatable sense of aesthetics. Dr. Amit Gupta is a renowned Indian plastic surgeon who is known for his experience and attention to detail. His cosmetic procedures are known for delivering long-lasting and impressive results.