Gynecomastia is a medical condition that is characterized by the enlargement or swelling of breast tissues in males. This condition can affect both or a single breast. It can be a very aesthetically and psychologically unpleasant condition for men.
This is why if you suffer from the same problem then we have got you covered. In this article, we’ll talk about everything that you need to know about gynecomastia and how to get rid of it.
What is Gynecomastia?
As mentioned above, gynecomastia is the enlargement of male breasts. This condition is quite common in men during puberty, middle age, and older age. It should be noted that gynecomastia is different from pseudo gynecomastia or lipomastia, which is the presence of fat deposits in men who suffer from obesity.
If you suffer from gynecomastia, then you should contact the top gynecomastia surgeon in Indore to get help. You might also find it interesting to note that normally developing pubertal males are often at the highest risk of developing gynecomastia. Normal male infants may also have gynecomastia. However, this condition at that age usually resolves on its own.
According to the best gynecomastia surgery center in Delhi, there are several factors that are related to gynecomastia. Some of these factors are:
Aging may promote a reduction in testosterone production which can further cause gynecomastia.
- Pre-Existing Diseases
Certain pre-existing diseases like cirrhosis of the liver can predispose an individual to gynecomastia.
Some medications increase the risk of developing gynecomastia.
Symptoms of Gynecomastia
There are several symptoms of gynecomastia that can be identified to diagnose this problem. These symptoms are mention below.
- Enlargement of male breasts
- Enlargement of male glandular tissue in a symmetrical fashion with regards to the nipple
- Male breasts with rubbery or firm feel
- Enlarged breasts on both sides
- Unilateral increased male breasts
- Tenderness and sensitive male breasts
Patients must remember that in gynecomastia severe pain is not involved. This means that even though an individual might feel a bit tender and sensitive in the breast area, he or she will still not experience any kind of severe pain.
Further, when it comes to identifying gynecomastia, then one should always rely on a medical expert. This is mainly because gynecomastia is different from male breast cancer. This should be accounted for even if there are only about 1% of overall cases of male breast cancer.
Read more – What are the Pros and Cons of Breast Implants?
When it comes to male breast cancer, then the cancer is often confined to one side. It is not centered around the nipple. Other symptoms of male breast cancer are:
- Dimpling of the skin
- Retraction of the nipple
- Nipple discharge
- Feels hard or firm
- Enlargement of the underarm or axillary lymph nodes
Gynecomastia During Puberty
- During puberty, gynecomastia can result due to an imbalance in the hormonal levels. This means that the levels of estrogen, which is also known as the female hormone, are increased when in comparison to the levels of androgen, or the male hormones
- In some cases, gynecomastia during puberty might even resolve on its own. This type of gynecomastia is known as physiologic gynecomastia
- Physiologic gynecomastia is temporary due to the temporary fluctuation in the hormone levels inside the male body
- It can take around 6 months to 2 years for gynecomastia to resolve in adolescent males
- If this condition persists and does not get resolved on its own, then gynecomastia surgery is required
- One should only approach the best gynecomastia surgeon to perform this procedure
- The cost of gynecomastia should also be considered before making any decision.
Causes of Gynecomastia
Apart from the causes mentioned till now, there are also other causes of gynecomastia. A list of those causes is given below.
- Malnutrition and Re-Feeding
These conditions have been shown to create a hormonal environment that can lead to gynecomastia. Cirrhosis of the liver is another condition that alters the normal hormonal metabolism of the body.
- Disorders of the Male Sex Organs (Testes)
Any disorder of the male sex organ that results in decreased testosterone production and relatively higher estrogen level can cause gynecomastia. Some of these disorders include infection, reduced blood flow, genetic disorders, Klinefelter’s syndrome, and testicular cancers.
- Other Medical Conditions that have a Direct Effect on Hormonal Levels
Medical conditions like chronic renal failure, hyperthyroidism, and testicular tumors can also cause gynecomastia.
How to Get Rid of Gynecomastia?
If an individual wants to get rid of gynecomastia, then the only way to do that is by getting gynecomastia surgery. This surgery should only be performed by a trained, skilled, and qualified plastic surgeon.
Men who qualify for gynecomastia surgery must fulfill the following criteria.
- Should not have a life-threatening illness
- Should not suffer from medical conditions that impair healing
- Non-drug users
- Men with a positive outlook and realistic expectations from the surgery
- The patient should be physically healthy
- The weight of the patient should be relatively normal
- Men with stabilized breast development
- Men who are bothered by the feeling that their breasts are too large
If you qualify for this surgery, then the next thing that you need to do is make sure that you are aware of the gynecomastia surgery cost. The gynecomastia surgery cost often depends on the following factors.
- Anesthesia fees
- Medical tests
- Surgical facility or hospital fees
- Post-surgery garment costs
- Fees of surgeon
- Cost of prescriptions for medication
If you and your board-certified, qualified, skilled, and experienced medical expert agree on the cost, then you can proceed with the surgery. It should be noted that agreeing on a cost is very important as the gynecomastia surgery cost is often not covered by insurance policies. You can still check your health insurance policy coverage to be sure.
You might also find it exciting to know that the results of gynecomastia surgery are visible almost immediately. There is some post-surgical swelling but this swelling will go down with time. Further, the incision lines will fade too. This means that your satisfaction with the procedure will grow with time!
The final results can take around 3-6 months to appear. You also wouldn’t have to worry about incision scars if you get this surgery done by a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon. This is mainly because experienced plastic surgeons are familiar with the technique of hiding the incision marks under the natural contours of the skin.
Read more – What are Puffy Nipples?
How to Get Rid of Gynecomastia with Exercise?
There is some sources online that claim that it’s possible to treat gynecomastia with exercise. The first that we would like to tell you is that this is incorrect. It is not possible to get rid of gynecomastia with exercise. There are no exercises that can get rid of gynecomastia by targeting the underlying cause of the condition.
The only way in which gynecomastia can be treated is by getting gynecomastia surgery. You should only contact the best cosmetic surgeon. This surgeon should have all the necessary qualifications and board credentials. Apart from that, the plastic surgeon should also be skilled and experienced. This will ensure that you get the best results from your gynecomastia surgery.
How to Get Rid of Gynecomastia Naturally?
Have you come across some websites, articles, or ‘experts’ online who claim that it is possible to get rid of gynecomastia naturally? If you have, then you should not fall into that trap. If you have gone through the causes in detail, then you must have understood that it is not possible to resolve those causes with just exercise.
Further, you should not fall into the temptation of taking supplements that promise fast weight loss and getting rid of gynecomastia. These supplements are often not tested, safe, or effective. It can cause you more harm than good. This is why it is best to get gynecomastia surgery. This will get you the best results and resolution.
How Can Our Medical Expert Team at Divine Cosmetic Surgery Help You?
If you are suffering from gynecomastia and you want to solve this condition, then the only sure-shot way of doing this is by getting gynecomastia surgery. And if you are looking for the best plastic surgeon in India who performs gynecomastia surgery, then you can end your search at Divine Cosmetic Surgery.
Divine Cosmetic Surgery is headed by Dr. Amit Gupta is one of the most trusted cosmetic surgery clinics in India! The medical experts have a collective experience of decades and have helped thousands of patients live better lives.