Chin Implant Surgery: You Need to Know
A chin implant, also known as chin augmentation, is a surgical procedure in which a sculpted material is inserted under the skin of the patient and molded around the chin bone. Usually, most chin implants are made of silicone, but some might also be made from Medpor or Gore-Tex.
A lot of advancement within the field has made a shift from chin implants just having a ‘button style’ to wrap-around chin implants that add width to the sidewalls of the chin. Chin implants also come in a variety of shapes and sizes. If required, chin implants can also be customized to suit the unique anatomy of the patient.
It should be noted that a chin implant is a highly customized procedure. This is why the exact chin implant used will depend on the type of final results that the patient wishes to achieve. The results of a chin implant can also range from a subtle improvement to a dramatic change.
What Can Chin Implant Surgeries Do?
A chin implant surgery, also known as mentoplasty, can enhance the lower face in a variety of ways, including:
- Increase the chin size. A chin implant can help a patient add vertical height, side augmentation, projection, or make a customized improvement to a patient’s chin.
- Improve the definition of the jawline
- Enhance a weak chin
- Create better facial harmony and balance
- Reduce a double chin caused by a small chin bone
- Reshape the entire facial profile of a patient when combined with rhinoplasty and jaw implants
The Pros And Cons Of Chin Implants
The pros of getting a chin implant are:
- Studies show that almost 90% of patients are extremely happy with their results after getting a chin implant
- Chin augmentation helps balance facial features, creates more jawline definition, and reduces a double chin
- The implant size and shape can be customized to the anatomy of the patient and the desired results
- The surgery can be performed relatively quickly
- Chin implant scars are usually unnoticeable as the incisions are hidden under the chin or in the mouth
- The results are considered permanent, though the implant can be easily removed if a patient ever wants to do that
The cons of getting a chin implant are:
- There can be slight discomfort during the recovery after getting the procedure
- Patients can feel a tightness in their chin for about three weeks while their skin adjusts to the implant
- It can take a few weeks before the patient is able to see the final results. This is mainly due to the swelling
- Side effects like infection or implant shifting can also occur
If you want to get a chin implant and wish to avoid these cons, then you should simply get this surgery done by a qualified, skilled, and experienced plastic surgeon.
Who Is A Good Candidate For Chin Implant Surgery?
You are a good candidate for a chin implant if:
- You are in good health
- You are a nonsmoker and you do not consume alcohol excessively
- You want a stronger, more defined chin and jawline
If you are not sure whether you are a good candidate for a chin implant or not, you should consult with the best plastic surgeon in India. The plastic surgeon will assess your facial skeletal and tissue structure during the initial consultation. The goal is not to just evaluate the shape of the patient’s face, but also their teeth and other facial muscles for aesthetic and medical reasons.
The doctor will also ensure that the patient is not allergic to any components of the implant. This patient is also not recommended for children under the age of 16 as they are still growing, and their chin may change, or elderly patients with significant bone loss in the area.
The Chin Implant Recovery
After getting chin implant surgery, most patients will be able to recover completely within a few weeks. Patients can also follow the given suggestions to make sure that they have a smooth recovery process.
- Try to avoid engaging in any strenuous activity or bending over during the first week after getting the chin implant
- Take any medications prescribed by your doctor on time to get rid of any discomfort caused due to your lower face feeling tender and swollen
- It is common for patients to experience a tightness in their jawline during the first week after surgery
- Consume soft foods, that don’t require much chewing, and plenty of water for the first few days after the surgery
- You might be recommended to wear a compression garment for the first week of recovery
- Sleep face-up with your head elevated for at least two weeks to help reduce swelling
- Avoid exercise or activities during you which you could hit your face or displace your implant for at least three weeks after the surgery
Browse the video – Precautions After Chin Implant Surgery
Is Chin Implant Surgery Worth It?
Getting a chin implant is completely worth it as the procedure is virtually painless, and the recovery period is also quite short, while the results of the procedure are permanent. If one gets chin implant surgery from a qualified plastic surgeon, then they don’t have to worry about their chin implant at all and can enjoy amazing results for several decades to come.
Get A Chin Implant At Divine Cosmetic Surgery By Dr. Amit Gupta
Getting a chin implant is a tough decision that requires hours of researching and learning more about the procedure. Even after completing this stage, one still has to find the best plastic surgeon in India who can help get the best results from this surgery.
Dr. Amit Gupta is one such plastic surgeon who can help you get amazing results from a chin implant surgery. He has over 20 years of experience and has performed thousands of chin implant procedures before with a 100% success rate.
Book a consultation with him today to find out how he can help you get the best chin implant results.
A chin implant is a surgical procedure in which one enhances the size, shape, or appearance of their chin. The results of this surgical procedure are permanent, and getting this procedure done is completely worth it.