Simply put, gynecomastia can be defined as the increase in the amount of breast gland and tissues present in males. This condition can be caused due to an imbalance of different hormones, including estrogen and testosterone.
Gynecomastia can affect one or both breasts sometimes evenly or unevenly. It is normal for newborn children, older men, and boys who are going through puberty to develop gynecomastia due to hormonal changes. In these cases, the problem tends to resolve on its own.
From a purely medical perspective, gynecomastia is not a serious problem. However, this condition can significantly affect the confidence and lifestyle of an individual. Some men might even feel pain and embarrassed of their bodies.
Because of all these reasons, if an individual is suffering from gynecomastia, then he should get help from the top gynecomastia surgeon in Delhi. But first one must know how to identify gynecomastia.
How to Identify Gynecomastia?
According to the most trusted gynecomastia surgery center in Delhi, there are some signs and symptoms of gynecomastia. These symptoms are:
- Breast tenderness
- Swollen breast tissue
- Pain or tenderness in breasts
- Nipple discharge in one or both breasts
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, then you must contact a plastic surgeon to get help as you might be suffering from gynecomastia.
How to Know if You Have Gynecomastia?
An individual can have gynecomastia in one breast or both. This factor makes it harder to diagnose this condition. However, it should be noted that, in most cases, gynecomastia starts off as a lump or fatty tissue beneath the nipple. This nipple can feel sore and this might result in the breast becoming unevenly large.
In some cases, the symptoms of gynecomastia might also resemble some other medical condition or problem. This is why it is best to get a diagnosis from a qualified and experienced healthcare provider.
The healthcare provider will make the diagnosis by following the procedure mentioned below.
- Your past health and medicine history will be considered
- The doctor will give you a physical exam
- You might have to get tests done, including x-ray, blood tests, a biopsy
- Tests like a mammogram, CT scans, MRI scans, and testicular ultrasounds might also be conducted
- Conditions like breast cancer, breast abscess, and fatty breast tissue will be ruled out
Causes of Gynecomastia
As mentioned above, gynecomastia is caused due to a change in normal hormone levels. This fluctuation in hormonal levels can further have several causes, including:
- Normal Hormone Changes
Everybody knows that hormones like testosterone and estrogen control the development of sex characteristics in both men and women. You might also be interested to learn that even though estrogen is considered to be a female sex hormone but it is also produced in men though in small quantities.
This is why if the estrogen levels are too high or out of balance, then one can suffer from gynecomastia. Further, more than half of male infants are born with enlarged breasts. This is mainly due to the effect of the mother’s estrogen. This condition will go away within two to three weeks after birth.
In the case of naturally occurring gynecomastia during puberty, the condition can go away within six months to two years. However, if it takes longer, then you must contact the best cosmetic surgeon in Delhi.
Also, read – How to get rid of gynecomastia
Gynecomastia can also be caused due to several types of medications. For example:
- Anti-Androgens: These medications are used to treat an enlarged prostate, prostate cancer, and other conditions
- Anabolic Steroids and Androgens: These medications are prescribed by a medical doctor for biological conditions or can be used by athletes illegally to build muscle and enhance performance
- AIDS Medications: Men who are HIV-positive are at great risk of developing gynecomastia because they are often on a treatment regimen of highly active antiretroviral therapy
- Anti-Anxiety Medications
- Tricyclic Antidepressants
- Ulcer Medications
- Cancer Treatment
- Heart Medications
- Stomach-Emptying Medications
- Street Drugs and Alcohol
- Health Conditions
Medical conditions that affect the normal balance of hormones can also cause gynecomastia. These conditions are:
- Hypogonadism: This condition interferes with normal testosterone production, including pituitary insufficiency and Klinefelter syndrome
- Aging: Hormone changes due to increasing age can cause gynecomastia
- Tumors: Some tumors that involve the testes, including adrenal glands and pituitary gland
- Hyperthyroidism: In this medical condition, the thyroid gland produces too much thyroxine in the body
- Kidney Failure: About 50% of individuals who are going through dialysis also experience gynecomastia due to hormonal changes
- Liver Failure and Cirrhosis: Changes in hormone levels are also related to cirrhosis medications and liver problems
- Malnutrition and Starvation: Testosterone levels drop when an individual is deprived of adequate nutrition while the estrogen level remains the same. This causes hormonal imbalance
- Herbal Products
Herbal products like tea tree and lavender products have been associated with gynecomastia.
Now that you are aware of the causes of gynecomastia, you should also be familiar with the physical complications of gynecomastia. Beyond that, gynecomastia can also cause psychological or emotional problems due to physical complications.
There are also some key steps that one can follow to reduce the risk of gynecomastia. These key steps are mentioned below.
- Don’t use drugs like androgens, steroids, heroin, amphetamines, and marijuana
- Avoid drinking alcohol
- Review your medications and avoid medications that are known to cause gynecomastia
How to Treat Gynecomastia?
If you contact the best gynecomastia surgeon to get treated for your condition, then your healthcare provider will figure out the best treatment for you. This will depend on the following factors.
- Age of the patient
- Patient’s overall health and past health
- The extent of gynecomastia
- How well the patient can handle treatments, medicines, or therapies
- How long the condition has lasted
- Opinion and preference of the patient
If gynecomastia has been treated due to some medication, then one has to stop taking the medicine. If a disease is the cause of gynecomastia, then first it is important to treat that condition and then target treatment for gynecomastia.
In some cases, hormone therapies can be used to treat gynecomastia. However, this treatment method is not always very effective. The only treatment method that can help in treating gynecomastia is gynecomastia surgery.
One should only get gynecomastia surgery from the best plastic surgeon in Delhi. The patient should also discuss the cost of gynecomastia surgery before making a final decision in regards to the gynecomastia surgery.
It is also a good idea to prepare for the surgery by learning about gynecomastia surgery before going for your first consultation. Further, if you have any questions or want some advice, then you should seek those answers from your plastic surgeon during the consultation.
Apart from this, it is always recommended that the patient should be comfortable with the plastic surgeon before getting gynecomastia surgery. This is so that one can get the best results from gynecomastia surgery and have a smooth recovery process. This will also ensure that the patient and plastic surgeon is able to have an open and smooth conversation.
Get Treatment for Gynecomastia at Divine Cosmetic Surgery!
If you are suffering from gynecomastia and are tired of being embarrassed by your condition, then you are in the right place. We at Divine Cosmetic Surgery are known for providing the best results through our gynecomastia surgical treatment.
Divine Cosmetic Surgery is the most trusted cosmetic surgery clinic in India. The clinic is headed by Dr. Amit Gupta, who is also the founder of Divine Cosmetic Surgery. Dr. Amit Gupta is highly trained, experienced, and skilled when it comes to providing gynecomastia surgery treatment to his patients.
At Divine Cosmetic Surgery, we are always committed to serving our patients. We support our patients from the first call to the completion of their recovery process.
So, what are you waiting for? Get in touch with us today and say goodbye to all your problems related to gynecomastia!
Subscribe to our new Youtube Channel – Plastic Surgery India