Breast Implant Illness (BII) is a collection of symptoms that is related to breast implants. The exact cause of the condition is not known but BII may be related to autoimmune or inflammatory responses to breast implants. The most common symptoms of the condition include:
- Joint pain
- Brain fog
The treatment involved in this condition is to remove the breast implant. If you are looking to get a breast implant, it is possible that you would be concerned about suffering from this condition. However, there are appropriate tests that can be conducted to make sure that your body responds positively to the breast implant and that you don’t suffer from this condition. Learn how that is possible in this blog.
What Is Breast Implant Illness?
Breast implant illness (BII) is a term used to describe a collection of symptoms that are believed to be caused due to breast implants. It is not a recognized medical diagnosis, and there is ongoing debate and research regarding its existence and causes.
Some individuals with breast implants report experiencing a variety of symptoms, including fatigue, joint and muscle pain, cognitive difficulties, rashes, hair loss, and immune system problems. These symptoms may be referred to as breast implant illness by those who believe there is a connection between their implants and the symptoms they are experiencing.
The exact cause or mechanism of breast implant illness is not yet fully understood. Some theories suggest that it may be related to immune system reactions, silicone sensitivity, bacterial contamination, or a combination of factors. However, scientific studies have not consistently demonstrated a clear link between breast implants and these symptoms.
It is important to note that the majority of individuals with breast implants do not experience these symptoms, and the safety of breast implants has been extensively studied. Both saline and silicone gel-filled breast implants are approved by regulatory authorities in many countries and have a long history of use in breast augmentation and reconstruction surgeries.
If someone with breast implants is experiencing unexplained symptoms or concerns, it is advisable to consult with a healthcare professional, preferably a plastic surgeon, who can provide an evaluation and guidance on the best course of action based on the individual’s specific situation.
What Are the Symptoms of Breast Implant Illness?
It is important to note that the symptoms of breast implant illness are non-specific and can be caused by various other conditions as well. The reported symptoms of breast implant illness may include:
- Fatigue and Low Energy: Persistent feelings of tiredness and lack of energy, even after adequate rest.
- Joint and Muscle Pain: Aching or discomfort in the joints and muscles, which may be widespread or localized.
- Cognitive Difficulties: Difficulty concentrating, memory problems, brain fog, and decreased cognitive function.
- Sleep Disturbances: Disrupted sleep patterns, insomnia, or feeling unrested despite sufficient sleep.
- Autoimmune-like Symptoms: Some individuals report symptoms similar to autoimmune disorders, such as joint swelling, skin rashes, and flu-like symptoms.
- Hair Loss: Thinning hair, hair shedding, or changes in hair texture.
- Skin Problems: Rashes, hives, dryness, or other skin abnormalities.
- Digestive Issues: Gastrointestinal problems like bloating, gas, constipation, or diarrhea.
- Mood Changes: Anxiety, depression, irritability, or mood swings.
- Respiratory Problems: Shortness of breath, coughing, or wheezing.
It is important to remember that these symptoms can occur due to a variety of factors, and they are not exclusive to breast implant recipients. A thorough evaluation is necessary to determine the underlying cause and appropriate course of treatment.
How Can I Avoid Breast Implant Illness?
While there is ongoing debate and research regarding breast implant illness (BII), there are some precautions that women can take if they are considering breast implants or want to minimize potential risks:
- Educate Yourself: Learn about breast implants, their types (saline or silicone), associated risks, and potential complications. Understand the benefits and limitations of breast augmentation or reconstruction surgery.
- Choose an Experienced Surgeon: Select a board-certified plastic surgeon who has expertise in breast augmentation and reconstruction. Research their qualifications, experience, and patient reviews. Consult a plastic surgeon like Dr. Amit Gupta to discuss your goals, concerns, and any potential risks.
- Communicate Openly: Provide your surgeon with a comprehensive medical history, including any allergies, existing medical conditions, or previous surgeries. Be honest about your expectations and concerns to ensure appropriate recommendations and decisions.
- Follow Proper Surgical Techniques: Ensure that the surgery is performed in an accredited surgical facility, adhering to strict safety standards. This includes appropriate sterilization techniques, minimizing the risk of infection.
- Monitor and Report Changes: Regularly examine your breasts and implants for any changes, such as swelling, pain, asymmetry, or abnormalities. Report any concerns to your healthcare professional promptly.
- Attend Follow-up Appointments: Attend all recommended follow-up appointments with your surgeon for routine check-ups and monitoring of your breast implants’ condition.
From all these points, you must be able to understand that seeking a qualified plastic surgeon is of the highest importance in getting great breast implant results.
Treatment of Breast Implant Illness
When it comes to providing breast implant treatments, Dr. Amit Gupta is a renowned expert plastic surgeon with 20+ years of experience. Dr. Amit Gupta has helped patients across the globe and specialized in ensuring that all his patients receive excellent results after every plastic surgery procedure.
Dr. Amit Gupta is also frequently called upon to train other plastic surgeons and attend international conferences to discuss the latest techniques within the industry. Schedule a consultation with him to get breast implant surgery done safely and with great results.