Saline vs. Silicone Implants
Getting a breast augmentation is a significant decision. And during this journey, one of the most critical choices you’ll make is selecting the type of breast implant you want to get. The two primary options are saline and silicone implants.
Both of these implants come with their own set of advantages and considerations. Keep reading to learn more about these breast implants and which option you should select for your breast augmentation surgery.
Understanding Saline Implants
Saline breast implants are composed of a silicone shell filled with a sterile saline (saltwater) solution. They are typically inserted empty and filled to the desired volume during the surgery.
The advantages of using a saline implant are:
- Adjustable Volume: Saline implants allow for adjustable volume, which can be beneficial if you desire slight changes in size during or after the procedure.
- Smaller Incisions: Since saline implants are filled after insertion, smaller incisions are needed, resulting in less noticeable scarring.
- Safe in Case of Rupture: In the rare event of a rupture, the saline solution is harmlessly absorbed by the body, making it a safe option.
Some drawbacks or considerations to keep in mind before getting saline implants are:
- Less Natural Feel: Saline implants tend to feel less natural compared to silicone implants. They can sometimes feel firmer and have a slightly rippled appearance.
- Rupture Rate: While saline implant ruptures are not dangerous, they are more likely to occur than with silicone implants.
Understanding Silicone Implants
Silicone implants are filled with a cohesive silicone gel that closely mimics the look and feel of natural breast tissue.
Some advantages of using a silicone implant are:
- Natural Look and Feel: Silicone implants are often chosen for their natural look and feel. They have a soft, pliable consistency that closely resembles natural breast tissue.
- Lower Rupture Rate: Silicone implants have a lower rupture rate compared to saline implants. When they do rupture, the cohesive gel typically stays within the implant shell.
- Choice of Shapes: Silicone implants come in various shapes, including round and teardrop, allowing for more customization.
A few factors to keep in mind before opting for silicone implants are mentioned below.
- Silent Rupture: One potential drawback of silicone implants is that ruptures can be silent, meaning there might be no immediate visual or physical indication that a rupture has occurred.
- MRI Surveillance: The FDA recommends periodic MRI screenings to detect potential silent ruptures in silicone implants.
Saline Vs Silicone Implants: What Should You Choose?
The decision between saline and silicone implants should be based on your individual preferences, anatomy, and lifestyle. Here are some factors to keep in mind to help you make the right choice:
Choose Saline Implants If:
- You prefer adjustable volume and want the option to fine-tune your breast size.
- You’re concerned about scarring and prefer smaller incisions.
- The safety of saline in case of rupture is a priority for you.
Choose Silicone Implants If:
- You desire a natural look and feel that closely mimics natural breast tissue.
- Silent ruptures are a concern, and you’re committed to regular MRI surveillance.
- You want a wide range of shape and size options to achieve your ideal look.
Apart from considering these factors, you should also become familiar with the overall procedure of performing breast augmentation surgery. The steps are mentioned below.
Step 1: Consultation
A crucial step in choosing between saline and silicone implants is a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. During this consultation, your surgeon will assess your anatomy, discuss your aesthetic goals, and help you determine the most suitable implant type, size, and shape for your body.
If you want more information on making this decision, watch this video by Dr. Amit Gupta.
Step 2: Incisions
Your surgeon will make an incision, typically in the crease under the breast, the areola, or in the armpit. The choice of incision location will be determined during your consultation.
Step 3: Implant Placement
Your surgeon will create a pocket for the implant, either beneath the chest muscle (submuscular) or directly behind the breast tissue (subglandular).
Step 4: Implant Insertion
The implant is inserted into the pocket, and its placement is meticulously adjusted to achieve the desired appearance.
Step 5: Incision Closure
The incisions are closed using sutures.
Step 6: Recovery and Aftercare
Recovery after breast augmentation with saline or silicone implants typically involves:
- Swelling and Discomfort: You may experience some swelling, bruising, and discomfort, which can be managed with pain medications prescribed by your surgeon.
- Physical Activity: You should avoid strenuous physical activity for several weeks to allow your body to heal.
- Supportive Garments: A supportive surgical bra or compression garment may be recommended to help minimize swelling and provide support.
- Follow-Up Appointments: Regular follow-up appointments with your surgeon are essential to monitor your progress and ensure proper healing.
Why Choose Divine Cosmetic Surgery?
Divine Cosmetic Surgery is India’s most trusted plastic surgery center. It is also India’s largest plastic surgery center that is known for providing patients with international standard treatments.
Divine Cosmetic Surgery is headed by Dr. Amit Gupta, who is a plastic surgeon with 20+ years of experience. His team of medical experts at Divine Cosmetic Surgery comes with decades of experience that they use to provide excellent quality plastic surgery treatments to their patients.
So, what are you waiting for? Schedule your first consultation today!
Whether you choose saline or silicone implants for your breast augmentation, both options can provide beautiful and satisfying results. The right choice for you depends on your individual goals, concerns, and lifestyle.
At Divine Cosmetic Surgery, we support you through every stage of your breast augmentation process. We provide 3D consultation to all our patients to make sure that you are able to visualize your results from the first consultation itself and that you can achieve the breast augmentation results you desire and confidently embrace your enhanced appearance.