Tummy tuck surgery is also known as abdominoplasty. This is a surgical procedure that can help to flatten the abdomen of an individual. This procedure helps in removing loose skin, and extra fat, and tightening the muscles in the abdominal wall.
A tummy tuck can also help in removing some stretch marks from the lower abdomen. This is a very popular procedure for women who have gone through a pregnancy, massive weight loss, or who have a flabby abdomen with weak muscles.
If a tummy tuck is done right, then it can help in removing the body contours of a patient. Many patients also report feeling better about themselves and experiencing higher self-esteem after getting good results from a tummy tuck surgery.
Should I Consider a Tummy Tuck Surgery?
Before getting an aesthetic procedure done, it is smart to think about whether it is the right solution for your problems or not. This is why you should go through the list of requirements that one must fulfill before getting a tummy tuck.
- You have got tummy flab, stretch marks, and excess skin on your abdomen
- The extra skin and muscles in your abdomen are not going away no matter what diet you take or how you exercise
- Pregnancy or a massive weight loss has affected the shape of your abdomen
- You feel as if your protruding abdomen is unattractive
- You think that your self-confidence is taking a huge hit due to your stomach contours
How Can I Prepare for a Tummy Tuck?
You now know that tummy tuck surgery is the right procedure for you. However, now you are worried about how and if you can even prepare for a tummy tuck surgery. The first thing you need to know is that it is good and normal to get these questions. This is why we will help you prepare for a tummy tuck right now.
- Go through the pre-operative instructions that your surgeon has given to you
- Look for answers to any questions that you might have
- Mention all details when the surgeon asks about your medical history or asks you to get a physical exam done to determine your level of fitness for surgery
- Stop smoking before undergoing the surgery. This will help in promoting better healing
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory medications, and herbal medications without the explicit permission of your surgeon. This is done to decrease the risk of excessive bleeding
- Make sure that you are fully hydrated before and after the surgery. This would help in ensuring a safer recovery process
- If your surgeon recommends some lifestyle changes, then try your best to make those changes. This would help you get the best results and decrease the chance of possible complications
- Ensure that your home has an ideal recovery environment before your surgery
- Choose healthy meals and snacks
If you have any other questions in regards to whether the procedure will be an inpatient or outpatient procedure, then you should ask them directly from your surgeon. This is mainly due to the fact that the exact procedure for tummy tuck surgery will depend on your medical issues, length of time for your surgery, other procedures selected, and any other constraints.
What Does the Recovery from Tummy Tuck Surgery Look Like?
Now you know that you are the right candidate for a tummy tuck surgery and you are even prepared for the surgery. You have also gone through with the surgery. So, what comes next? What should you do now?
After getting the tummy tuck surgery, the only thing left for you to do is make sure that your recovery is smooth. There are very good chances that your doctor has already told you about what you need to do for a smooth recovery. So, you should try your best to follow all of those recommendations. You should have information regarding:
- Drains, if they have been placed
- Normal symptoms to experience during recovery
- Any potential signs of complications
You can also experience the following effects right after getting the tummy tuck surgery.
- As the anesthesia wears off, the patient might feel dizzy, disoriented, and nauseated. This sensation is normal and will pass within a few hours. These symptoms can reoccur due to ingestion of some oral pain medications
- The patient should have someone else drive them back from the hospital on the day of the surgery. Apart from that, one might also be asked to spend the night at the hospital. This will depend on the extent of the procedure
- The abdomen of the patient might feel very sore and tender. Any pain that one experiences during that time can be controlled through pain medications
- The patient will require several days of bed rest even if they return home on the same day of the surgery
- The incision sites will be covered with a dressing. This is done to keep the area clean and protected
- The patient should wear a wide elastic compression garment to reduce swelling and support the skin as it tightens. The patient will have to wear this garment for several weeks
- Depending on the extent of the procedure, the patient might have tubes in the incision to drain away any fluid. The patient will have to empty the drains a few times a day and keep track of how much fluid is coming out. The drains are removed within one to two weeks depending on the amount of fluid that is coming out
- In the case of traditional sutures, these will be removed within the first or second week of the procedure. There is no need to remove absorbable sutures
- The patient should be very clear on how he or she needs to manage the drains, change bandages, and shower during recovery
- To avoid extra discomfort, the surgeon might recommend some ointment that one can apply
- It is also common for patients to experience redness, bruising, and swelling during recovery. These effects should subside within one to three weeks of getting the tummy tuck
How Long Will the Recovery Last For?
Usually, patients recover from a tummy tuck within six months or more. During the first couple of days after surgery, the priority for the patient is to avoid complications and manage pain. The first week is the hardest and after that things will become easier.
After a few weeks, the patient will regain regular mobility and fitness will become an important part of their lifestyle. After some months, the patient will be able to see the clear aesthetic outcomes of the tummy tuck surgery.
How Long Will My Tummy Tuck Results Last?
The tummy tuck results are permanent. And these results will stay permanent as long as the patient does not go through another pregnancy or significant weight loss. It should also be noted that a tummy tuck surgery will not prevent the effects of normal aging. This means that even after skin tightening, the skin will become a little looser as the patient ages.
It is also important for individuals who have gone through a tummy tuck to have a healthy lifestyle. Ensure that you are exercising daily. Do not have a sedentary lifestyle and try to be as active as possible. Patients should not forget that the longevity of their tummy tuck results depends a lot on their lifestyle.
Get Tummy Tuck Done at Divine Cosmetic Surgery
We at Divine Cosmetic Surgery pride ourselves on providing the best quality tummy tuck surgery to women across the world. This is why Divine Cosmetic Surgery is India’s most trusted cosmetic surgery clinic.
Divine Cosmetic Surgery is directed and founded by Dr. Amit Gupta. And Dr. Amit Gupta is not just a world-renowned surgeon but he is also deeply committed to ensuring that all his patients live the best possible life.
Dr. Amit Gupta has helped thousands of patients all across the world. He has performed hundreds of tummy tuck procedures and with his help, hundreds of women have finally been able to live their lives with more confidence and self-esteem.
If you also want to make the same changes in your life and live with more confidence, then take the plunge and contact our medical experts at Divine Cosmetic Surgery now!